Thursday, January 10, 2008

Delving into the archives of the Foot

As I hinted at in my last entry, I am currently matched up a true goliath of boredom - the bar exam. In order to combat this boredom, I wanted to do a (hopefully) daily series highlighting some jewels from my music library. And so far it's looking like it will be in semi-alphabetical order. Fittingly, we begin with:

A-Ko – “Fire” from Chicago 12” (Melting Pot Music)

This inaugural entry comes from a fantastic 12” I picked up from the Record Collector back in Iowa City. It’s RJD2-esque instrumental hip-hop, from (apparently) a local Iowan but released on a pretty great German label, Melting Pot Music. While all four tracks on the 12 are winners (a rarity indeed), this track is definitely the standout for me with its stunning cinematic groove, and absolutely deserves to soundtrack a pivotal action scene and/or its aftermath in Elias Lorenzo 2: Detect This! in which our hero has gained thirty pounds but learned surprisingly little about life (and I may have been studying for this role). Take that, Michael Mann.

No comments: