Sunday, July 22, 2007

A Glimpse Of The Future

One of the most exciting things about the now impending move to DC is the exponential increase in exciting live music options. Not that Iowa City has been bad to me, but a major metropolitan center the IC is not. So when we were out in DC, the other JD and I got a taste of what's to come, and it was mighty impressive.

Femi Kuti is the son of legendary Nigerian musician Fela Kuti, and continues in the vein of the genre his father created, Afro-beat. While I am a huge fan of Fela, Femi's albums had failed to grab me quite as strongly-but the live show was freaking incredible. Freed from the constraints of the studio versions, his songs took on a tremendous rollicking groove, aided by Femi's enormous charisma. So I was incredibly excited to get back and find a live record of his for download on Emusic (and also for sale as a CD/DVD(!) on Amazon). Check out my favorite track below.

Femi Kuti - 1, 2, 3, 4

(PS - due to the annoying ads on z-share, I've switched to divshare; click on the link on the right side of the page to download the file)