Saturday, July 7, 2007

Electronic Pleasures, 3 Dollars A Pop

Few things bring me as much bittersweet joy as a record store's going out of business sale--the possibility of enormous short term savings versus the long term loss of a possibly valuable source of music. Fortunately, I've only been around big chain stores that lost their grip, while the mom & pop (or more often just pop) stores I've known have survived. Recently, a record store in the area had a large sale on electronic music due to a change of location and, sensing opporunity, I swooped in. While I'm still making my way through the haul, I was immediately excited by a Promo 2 x 12" for Beth Orton's Daybreaker album featuring remixes from Adrian Sherwood, Two Lone Swordsmen, & the almighty Four Tet. And I was pleasantly suprised by the Two Lone Swordsmen Remix of "Anywhere", which really brings a nice electro pulse to the typically serene Beth Orton vocal. Check it out below.

Beth Orton - Anywhere (Two Lone Swordsmen Remix)

And the other JD has taken the opportunity to offer a pick of the week as well, and went with the full (11+ minutes!) version of the Four Tet Remix of "Carmella". I've long been a disciple of Four Tet, who creates epic jams unlike any other, so I have no qualms about posting it either.

Beth Orton - Carmella (Four Tet Remix)

PS - If you haven't heard Beth Orton's Central Reservation and/or Best Bit EP, they carry the full A Plus recommendation.

No comments: