Monday, June 25, 2007

The Inaugural

So, here it is, another mp3 blog. I hope to at least do it well.

For this first post, I'm highlighting three finds from the 25-cent 45 bin at a Half Price Books in Indianapolis, all primed for some summertime listening. Let me know what you think.

The Impressions - Check Out Your Mind

First off is some blistering psychedelic funk from the master, Curtis Mayfield. "Check Out Your Mind" was the title track from Mayfield's last LP with the Impressions before embarking on a storied solo career. It's an anti-dope (though still, uh, dope) song, featuring a sales pitch for your own mind. I hadn't heard the track before, but as soon as I saw the label I was guessing it was a winner. Thankfully, I was right.

Dave & Ansell Collins - Double Barrel (Instrumental)

Another find I was immediately excited by. "Double Barrel" is well-deserving of its rocksteady/reggae classic status, and I was hoping for some kind of dub workout on the b-side. It's actually just a straight instrumental of the a-side, though fortunately it keeps the whole "I...am the maginificent" intro bit. While the vocal is a great bit of nonsensical early DJ toasting, the instrumental highlights the dueling keyboards vibe of the piano vs. the funky organ. All around goodness.

Shabba Ranks - Original Woman

This last one was the big surprise. Using the same Shelly Manne loop as Jeru da Damaja & DJ Premeir's uber-classic "Come Clean," but placing it in a hip-hop/dancehall context, Shabba crafts a solid pro-woman anthem, at least from what I can make out of the words.