Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Top (20)10

Like all good music nerds, I had to make a list. Without further ado, my top 10 albums (non-reissue/non-DJ mix category):

10. LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening

A record I've gone back & forth on a little bit, and one that might have been #1 if it had been recorded by the current touring line-up (with dark synth maestro/weird bearded dude Gavin Russom). Still great though.

9. Hot Chip - One Life Stand

In which the ostensible bedroom poppers shoot for the arena seats and hit the mark with their most cohesive work since The Warning. Anthemic!

8. The Liminanas - The Liminanas

By far the most effortlessly effin' cool album of the year. Psychedelic french pop that gets both sides of that equation perfectly.

7. Matthew Dear - Black City

Way beyond what I expected following the excellent Asa Breed - a sprawling, hazy (insert your cliche here) masterpiece.

6. Big Boi - Sir Lucious Leftfoot: The Son of Chico Dusty

Except for that godawful Vonnegutt chorus.

5. Das Racist - Shut Up, Dude / Sit Down, Man

Biggest surprise of 2k10 - the pizza hut/taco bell dudes are insanely good & entertaining rappers. Don't sleep.

4. Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma

Superfuturisticastralcadillacmuzik.

3. Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz

The late climber on these charts. Same great melodies/songs but with a whole new dimension in the production.

2. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

I can't say a whole lot new about this. Except I really ride for "Hell Of A Life".

1. Sleigh Bells - Treats

The most of out-of-nowhere mind-blowing listening experience of the year. Perfect!


Honoreable mentions: Rick Ross, Free Energy, Janelle Monae, Robyn, Araabmuzik

3 comments:

Battle Beast said...

I will never forgive you for not including Owen Pallett's Heartland on this list. Never. Ever. Ever.

JD said...

OP was next on my Honorable Mention list (but wanted to keep it at 5). I really, really like some tracks but some of it just leaves me a little cold. I understand we may no longer be friends.

Battle Beast said...

BATTLE BEAST SMASH!!!!!!!