Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Dollar bin treasures

Like any good record nerd, one of my greater pleasures is the alchemical conversion of dollar bin records into digital gold. Here's the cream of my latest excursion:

Sheila Hylton - The Bed's Too Big Without You

Sly & Robbie (aka the greatest rhythm duo of all time) provide the foundation for this incredible cover. If all Police songs had this kind of groove, I would be a much, much bigger fan.

Eurhythmics - Paint A Rumour (Jellybean Mix)

From an import comp of mixes by dance pioneers Francois K & Jellybean, this song fits in perfectly with the space-italo-disco that's all the rage in certain circles. Like mine.

Bran Van 3000 feat. Curtis Mayfield - Astounded (Demon Remix)

In perhaps my most favorite bizarre dollar bin find, BV3K of "Drinking in LA" fame apparently put out a second album that never made it to the US, but which included a previously unreleased Curtis Mayfield vocal track; this filter-house mix from the 12" single edits the lyrics to create the perfectly devastating couplet: I just want to love you/I just want to cry.

No comments: