Friday, April 18, 2008

Sunny weekend business

Now, I know what you're saying. You're saying, JD, there's a lot going on this weekend. There's Race for the Cure (which is apparently associated with some Garth Brooks jams). There's Record Store Day. There's that Spoon show at the Vogue you couldn't get tickets for. And there's the first semi-tolerable movie to come out in a while (hopefully) with the Apatow-overexposure bunch. And the NBA Playoffs start this weekend (though you, hypothetical reader, are likely nowhere near as interested in that as I am). That's all well and good, but what sort of jams do you have to help me through this weekend? And no more disco, please. We need something we can cruise to.

Fair enough. How about some sweet funky soul music, with an impressively single-minded protagonist?

The Originals - California Sunset

Or what about about some dubby-funk (with the loop from LL Cool J's "Doin' It")? (And peep the original on my standout sunny day cruising disc here).

Grace Jones - JA Guys (Dub Version of My Jamaican Guy)

And as a bonus - if only I had listened to Black Velvet, I might not have been so confused at 5:30 this morning. I mean, they did tell me. So yeah, sorry about that whole deal. I did not get my thing together.

Black Velvet - An Earthquake's Coming

No comments: