Monday, March 17, 2008

It was acceptable in the 80's

So I followed my curiousity and got burnt. But who could blame me? It sounded so promising; a strange, almost homemade looking record promising disco songs about trains with five guitars??!!! How could such a thing exist? And what in God's name does it sound like?

Overwhelmed by an insatiable need for answers to these questions I purchased the LP. Tony Rizzi and Disco Pacific? Oh, how you have let me down. Not only do you fail to utilize the FIVE guitars to add any muscle to your sound, you essentially made a record of smoove-disco-jazz, and not even something as promising as that sounds. But the most vile of your sins is even more simple and insidious - you made a boring record.

Fortunately, as a good record buyer should, I hedged my bets. I went with the closest thing I could find to a sure shot - Soft Cell's Tainted Love/Where Did Our Love Go? 12" and the lure of its 9 minute "Tainted Dub." Bingo! (see results below) And then there was the longshot; the band simply called Wah!, the record less simply called Nah=Poo-The Art of Bluff. Oh yes, this was the proverbial ticket. A surprisingly solid post-punk record, perfectly sequenced and solid throughout. I've shared my favorite track below - it's a little bit average for the first three minutes but then it gets all synth + beat = magic at the end. What did these records have in common? A decade that I am realizing I may have unjustly overlooked in previous record buying excursions - the 80's.

Soft Cell - Tainted Dub

Wah! - The Death of Wah!

No comments: